Troy, Oregon is located in the Wallowa County's Grande Ronde River valley west of Flora near the Washington border, at an elevation of 2,040 feet. The town was likely all or part of a Mormon settlement, and originally called Nauvoo, a term for "the beautiful city" and a "gathering place for Latter Day Saints." Troy Grinstead was a son of one of the original Mormon settlers who came to the valley in 1898, and was likely the name-sake choice for the town name in a search that began in the post office in 1902 and did not end until the name was adopted in1931. The post office, once the center of the town activity's and gatherings, was closed in 1965.
Troy is most known today for it's phenomenal fishing. Courtney Creek converges with the Grande Rhonde River and then both with the Wenaha River at the town city limits. the Wenaha River is renowned as a trout fishing river, while the Grande Rhonde is famous for it's steelhead fishing. The town has a tavern and restaurant, an RV park and few residents. Camp sites are located along the river north, south and west of town. Visitors are often met by gaggles of wild turkeys, and herds of elk and deer. Bighorn sheep are often seen along the river canyon walls.